Responsible for directing, planning and coordinating the daily activities of the Environmental Waste Services (EWS) Collections Operations.
Number of Direct Reports (include titles): Six (6) Field Supervisors, One (1) Fleet Coordinator
Number of Indirect Reports (include titles): 7 Equipment Operators (Recycle), 18 Equipment Operators (Residential), 6 Equipment Crew Leaders, 6 Rear Load Operators, 12 Long Truck Equipment Operator (Brush & Bulky) and 10 Equipment Operator, 1 Welder (Commercial)
Financial & Budget Responsibility: Environmental Waste Service Divisions, Recycle, Residential, Brush & Bulky and Commercial
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Plan, organize, and direct staff related to the daily operation of Solid Waste Collections Division.
- Oversee day-to-day operations of the Collections Division through the scheduling of collections and proper allocation of personnel and equipment.
- Manage the safe and efficient transport and disposal of solid waste and recyclable materials.
- Assist in the budget process by preparing initial requests, implementing budgeted programs and monitoring expenditures throughout the year.
- Represent the Solid Waste Collections operations to the public in matters related to solid waste field operations regarding customer service, safety, and operational issues. Ensure subordinates investigate and take appropriate action in response to citizen or agency complaints or inquiries. Ensure improvements are initiated to eliminate continuing problems and provide assistance to customers.
- Maintain involvement in ancillary interdepartmental programs.
- Assure proper upkeep, repair and maintenance of all equipment.
- Enforce proper safety standards and precautions.
- Manage the development, revision, and implementation of policies in the Collections division.
- Resolve procedural, operation, and other work related problems with staff, consultants, other entities, and City Management .
Physical Requirements / Work Environment
The incumbent works in a typical office environment; occasional exposure to unpleasant environmental conditions and/or hazards; occasional outside work.