Attention Job Seekers: Please read each jobs application instructions carefully. Applying through this site does not necessarily complete
all the requirements to be considered for a job. Some employers require applications/resumes to be submitted via their own web sites.
Plans, organizes and manages the activities and staff in the Field Operations Solid Waste division which includes residential and commercial collection, bulk trash, and recycling.
To apply: go to http://agency.governmentjobs.com/glendaleaz/default.cfm
1. Plans, organizes and manages the activities and staff of the Solid Waste division, including residential and commercial collection, recycling and administration.
2. Develops and manages, with participation of supervisors, the operational and capital budgets in accordance with program goals and objectives.
3. Reviews technical reports and materials, studies, reports, presentations and specifications and bids for equipment and supplies.
4. Responds to residential and business complaints regarding solid waste issues which have not been resolved by the inspection or supervisory staff.
5. Works with citizen groups, in support of council goals.
6. Determines revenue and cost of service models.
7. Reviews site plans for container placement and the impact of added locations on existing routes.
8. Supports the Field Operations Director in presenting programs to Council and management.
9. Works with superintendents to coordinate activities which impact mutual interests.
10. Works with contractors to ensure services or products are delivered according to specifications and within time constraints.
11. Participates in the preparation and updating of the five-year Solid Waste plan and related planning and development efforts.
12. Represents the City as a member of solid waste organizations at the State and local level.
13. Drives to and from various meetings and work sites throughout the valley.
14. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree in business or public administration or a related field and eight years experience in solid waste collection and disposal, including three years experience in a supervisory capacity.
Principles, practices, methods and equipment of solid waste management
Federal, State and local regulations related to solid waste management
Principles and practices of public administration
Gather and review materials, analyze findings and prepare and present written and oral reports and recommendations
Establish and maintain effective working relationships with city employees and the general public
Read and interpret plans and specifications
Communicate effectively verbally and in writing
Effectively supervise, train and develop staff
Any equivalent combination of training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying
Valid Arizona driver's license.
Working Conditions: Office setting with field inspections
About City of Glendale
Boasting more than 300 days of sunshine a year, the City of Glendale is a dynamic desert community located on the western edge of the Phoenix metropolitan area in Maricopa County. Encompassing 60 square miles, Glendale (pop. 237,000) is the fifth largest city in Arizona and a member of the Maricopa Association of Governments. Renowned for its sports complexes, affordable homes and family entertainment, Glendale remains one of the most desirable communities in the Valley of the Sun.
With a longstanding commitment to connecting sports and community, Glendale boasts one of the most dynamic sports and entertainment districts in the country. A six-square mile, mixed-use district is the home of the Arizona Coyotes (NHL) and the Arizona Cardinals (NFL), as well as spring training facilities for MLB's Los Angeles Dodgers and Chicago White Sox. Glendale was just names the host of Super Bowl LVII in 2023. University of Phoenix Stadium has already hosted two Super Bowls (2008, 2015), two BCS National Championship football games (2007, 2011), the College Football Playoff National Championship (2016), the NCAA Men's Basketball Final Four (2017), and countless world-cl...ass concerts, including the Rolling Stones and U2.
Glendale is also an exciting shopping and entertainment destination. Its historic downtown, ten square blocks of tree-lined streets, ethnic eateries, and bungalow boutiques, has been named by USA Today and Sunset magazine as one of the country's ten best places for shopping. Numerous other venues for dining, shopping, and entertainment include the beautifully designed Arrowhead Towne Center, the Westgate Entertainment Center, and the Tanger Outlets. Glendale's museums, cultural attractions, and special events and festivals, including its legendary Glendale Glitters festival, draw hundreds of thousands of visitors annually.
The City of Glendale is a full-service municipality that operates under the Council/Manager form of government in accordance with its charter. Legislative authority is vested in a seven member City Council consisting of a Mayor elected at large and six Council members elected by a system based on geographic districts. While the Mayor and Council are responsible for setting overall policy and goals, the City Manager oversees the day-to-day operation of the City. The City of Glendale’s workforce is comprised of over 1,900 dedicated employees. City employees selected a mission statement that reflects “A partnership of employees and community working together to create a better quality of life for Glendale.”
Nine Core Competencies support the organization’s strategic direction and include:Customer Service
The Compensation Package
The City of Glendale will offer a competitive compensation package commensurate with the successful candidate’s experience and qualifications. The benefits are excellent and include:
•11.5 holidays annually
•Choice of three (4) medical insurance plans
•Choice of two (2) dental insurance plans
•Flexible reimbursement accounts
•Long and short-term disability insurance
•Paid life insurance equivalent to annual salary
•Arizona State Retirement System
•Voluntary 457 Deferred Compensation plans
The City of Glendale is an EEO employer.