Attention Job Seekers: Please read each jobs application instructions carefully. Applying through this site does not necessarily complete
all the requirements to be considered for a job. Some employers require applications/resumes to be submitted via their own web sites.
Definition: Under general supervision of the Solid Waste Supervisor drives and operates a variety of solid waste refuse trucks and equipment for collection, transport and disposal of Residential, Commercial, and Bulk waste and recyclables. Retrieves and logs completed work orders into computer database. Provides coverage in the absence of the supervisor. Required to work weekends and holidays, as scheduled. This position is treated as an FLSA non-exempt position.
Essential Functions: (Essential functions may vary among positions, but may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills, abilities, and other characteristics. This list of tasks is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not intended to be a comprehensive listing of tasks performed by all positions in this classification.) Tasks: 1. Safely and effectively operates a variety of Solid Waste collection trucks and equipment with gross vehicle weights requiring possession of an Arizona Class B Commercial Driver's License. (Front Load, Automated Side Loader, Roll Off, Rear Loader, Hook Lift, Front End Tractor and, picks up truck, etc.). Separates recyclable from non-recyclable trash, as needed, and ensures trash is disposed appropriately according to established guidelines and procedures.
2. Communicates verbally with customers regarding their collection concerns, general information, or problems related to collection services. Informs supervisor daily of the completion status of all work order requests.
3. Inspects vehicles and equipment before and after use checking for damage, fluid levels, fluid leaks, correct operation of safety equipment, lights, appropriate hand tools, etc. Reviews vehicle/equipment inspection forms and schedules repairs with Fleet and promptly notifies Supervisor of equipment issues.
4. Reviews and provides input to supervisor on changes in routes to assist in improving efficiency and customer service. Assists with training new and existing staff on the safe operation of vehicles and equipment used in the daily operation.
5. Repairs and paints refuse and recycling containers. Replaces damaged commercial and residential containers and delivers containers to customers.
6. Provide support as needed during Community events and activities involving the delivery, setup, and removal of solid waste containers.
7. Assures that safe working practices and rules are followed.
8. Occasionally acts in a Supervisor capacity as appointed when permanent Supervisor is unavailable.
9. Performs other duties as assigned by the Solid Waste Supervisor and/or Manager.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics: Knowledge of the history, culture, laws, rules, customs and traditions of the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community. Knowledge of the addresses of commercial and residential locations in the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community. Knowledge of the operating procedures for solid waste collection vehicles and equipment. Knowledge of Federal, State, and Community codes and regulations related to refuse collection. Skill in scheduling and prioritizing crew trash pickup and disposal work assignments. Skill in training sanitation drivers on residential and commercial trash collection, disposal and recycling of material. Skill in understanding and following written and verbal instructions. Skill in operation and basic daily maintenance of solid waste collection vehicles and equipment. Skill in determining work solution and evaluating solid waste related problems. Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with Community members, department heads, work crews and local officials. Skill in understanding and interpreting complex laws, rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and guidelines. Skill in using personal computer and related software. Ability to communicate efficiently and effectively with tribal employees and community members and other customers. Ability to use personal computer to update and maintain work orders and compile reports. Ability to communicate efficiently and effectively. Ability to walk, stoop, climb, and bend. Ability to move heavy objects between 20-50 pounds or more long distances (more than 20 feet). Ability to work in a variety of weather conditions with exposure to extreme weather conditions. Ability to drive up to 10 hours per day.
Education & Experience: Graduation from high school or GED equivalent and two (2) years full-time work experience as a sanitation driver or closely related area, and knowledge of residential and commercial trash and recyclables collection procedures and associated equipment. Must possess at time of hire, and maintain, a State of Arizona Class (B) Commercial Driver's License (CDL) for operating solid waste refuse vehicles with the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 26,000 pounds, and various heavy equipment. Insurability – Must possess and maintain a valid Arizona Commercial Driver's License and meet the SRPMIC insurance standards. Equivalency – Any equivalent combination of training and experience that would enable the candidate to satisfactorily perform and meet the duties and responsibilities required may be considered in meeting the stated minimum qualifications.